I feel like I have this dirty little secret I need to share:
I love Paula Deen. I do. I really, really do. I love her unabashed, unapologetic way of using a stick of butter in nearly all of her recipes. I know this isn’t healthy, and it’s not like we eat like this at every meal. Everything is moderation, that’s my motto. ‘Cause you know what? Butter is really, really good.
I love the way she says, “ya’all” and I secretly wish I could use it in everyday conversations with friends and family. Which would sound utterly ridiculous, because…well, I’m not Southern. Unless my love of Gone With the Wind and the fact that I was named after Ashley Wilkes counts for anything.
Pretty sure it doesn’t, though.
Also, I love that she still cooks with her sons and that as grown men they still call her mama. Love. It. Don’t think I’m not already programming Doodlebug to do this, too.
Anyway, this recipe?
Doesn’t use any butter.
It’s awsome, though. And quick and easy. Perfect football food, which is kind of my focus right now. ‘Cause football + food = happy me.
First, shred some grilled chicken and mix it with barbeque sauce. You can certainly make your own if you’re feeling industrious, but I wasn’t.
Meanwhile, mix up a box of Jiffy cornbread mix, baking it in mini-muffin tins. After you remove your muffins from the oven, use the handle of a cheese knife or juicer to poke the middle into a “cup” shape. Like so:
Scoop spoonfuls of your barbeque chicken into the cups, and toss some diced dill pickle spears on top.
Recipe: BBQ Chicken in Cornbread
- 2 (7-ounce) packages sweet yellow cornbread mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup barbeque sauce
- Chopped dill pickles, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornbread mix, milk, and eggs, stirring until smooth. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Using the handle of a cheese knife or juicer, poke down the centers of the cornbread muffins to make a cup.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken and barbeque sauce. Spoon the mixture evenly into the cornbread cups. Garnish with chopped dill pickles, if desired.
- Makes 24 mini-muffins.
recipe from Paula Deen