With a sprinkling of poppy seeds, lots of lemon juice and lemon zest, these Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes make a great weekend breakfast. Take them over the top by drizzling with an easy to make raspberry syrup!
Lazy Sunday morning breakfasts are my favorite. We don’t have time for more than a grab and go breakfasts during the week, and we’re usually headed out the door early on Saturdays to get to an early morning karate practice. So when Sunday mornings roll around, I’m ready for one of my biggest guilty pleasures: pancakes.
Truth be told, I don’t make pancakes all that often, mostly because my husband isn’t a fan. I’m not sure how I ended up marrying someone who doesn’t care for sweet breakfast breads, but there you go. He usually does the dishes, though…and for someone who cooks as much as I like to, this is definitely a good trade-off.
However, when I got the idea for lemon poppyseed pancakes, I had a feeling that even my pancake-averse husband couldn’t turn them down. While he isn’t big into pancakes or waffles, he does love a good lemon poppyseed muffin. And when you add a raspberry syrup, things get even better.
I typically just make a quick version of flavored syrup by adding a bit of jam to my maple syrup – 1 or 2 tablespoons per cup of syrup. Just warm it up in a small saucepan on the stove while your pancakes are on the griddle, and you’re all set!
The pancakes come together very quickly, and with just the right amount of lemon and a sprinkling of poppy seeds, these light and fluffy cakes are the perfect weekend breakfast.
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- Combine milk and lemon juice in a small bowl and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Whisk in the egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds and lemon zest. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir a few times to combine.
- Heat a griddle or skillet to medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle and cook until bubbles begin to appear on the surface. Flip pancakes over using a spatula, and cook the other side, about 2 minutes more.
- To make the syrup, warm 1 cup of maple syrup with 2 tablespoons raspberry jam.