The Tall Boy and I never fight.
We’re pretty boring, and I like it that way.
Except when it comes to sports.
When it comes to sports, my usually mild-mannered, super calm, laid back husband turns into the Incredible Hulk. It’s sort of ridiculous and hilarious all at the same time.
Saturday night, we were at my parent’s house watching the Kansas-Ohio State Final Four game. And, if you watched the first half of that game, you’ll know what I mean when I say that the Jayhawks played awful. Terrible. It wasn’t looking good, and the Tall Boy was getting more upset by the minute.
And by “upset,” I mean, screaming so loudly that I was worried he might have a brain aneurysm.
I suggested he might want to tone it down a little, since Doodle likes to mimic everything his Daddy says. I mean, we’re starting t-ball this spring; I can’t have Doodle calling the referees “a bunch of zebras.”
Anyway, in the throes of game frustration, the Tall Boy informed me “toning it down” wasn’t possible, that he would just watch the game somewhere else, and tossed the phrase “peace out” over his shoulder as he stomped up the stairs.
Um, the Tall Boy is a 6-foot tall, 160-pound, khaki and polo wearing, family-style SUV driving guy. “Peace out” should not be a part of his vernacular.
At least not without me making fun of him.*
Fortunately, he’d cooled off by halftime, and made his way back downstairs to watch the final half of the game with the rest of the group. And miracle of all miracles –
KU IS GOING TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.
Do you understand what this means?
It means I’m going to have to endure another 2+ hours of similar game watching behavior TONIGHT (pray for me, would you?). This time I’m going in prepared–maybe with a strawberry-orange margarita, or some of these cherry-coconut blondies.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 6 ounces dried cherries (I actually used a mixture of cherries, cranberries, blueberries and strawberries)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and brown sugar at half power, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool a bit, then whisk in the eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Spoon into baking dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until center is set and golden brown.
*I love you, Tall Boy. =)
I’m linked up at these great parties this week: Crazy Sweet Tuesdays, Trick or Treat Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Cast Party Wednesday, Sweet Treats Thursday, Mrs. Fox’s Sweets, Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons, Itsy Bitsy Paper, Crumbs and Chaos, I’m Lovin’ It Fridays, and Weekend Potluck!