Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Banana Muffins
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Banana Muffins are super simple to make, and with a blend of whole wheat flour, coconut oil and Nature Valley™ Protein Granola, you won’t even feel guilty about eating them! Don’t worry, they taste good, too!
If you couldn’t tell by reading through my blog, I’m not one of those health conscious people you’ll find sneaking black beans into brownies or beets into red velvet cake. But we have been making some smaller changes in our diets lately, despite many of the recipes you often see posting here on Kitchen Meets Girl.
The Tall Boy started freaking out earlier this year, because over the twelve years that I’ve known him, he’s put on (gasp!) ten pounds. Folks, I put on ten pounds just thinking about making this chocolate lush again, mmkay? Anyway, he’s actually resorting to eating spinach and grilled chicken salads for lunch and yogurt and granola for an afternoon snack, so when Nature Valley™ asked if I wanted to review some of their new Protein Crunchy Granola, my answer was a resounding yes.
I love topping my yogurt and fruit in the mornings with granola – each serving of Nature Valley™ Protein Granola contains over 1/3 of the minimum daily recommended amount of whole grains without any artificial flavors or colors.
But over the weekend, I replaced the chocolate chips in my banana muffins with Nature Valley™ Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Granola. It was a pretty good decision if I do say so myself.
I suppose giving up breakfast muffins altogether might be the best way to go, but since that option isn’t happening in my kitchen, this is the next best option. I also replaced the vegetable oil with coconut oil and used a mixture of all-purpose flour and whole-wheat flour as well. So, as far as breakfast muffins go, these aren’t completely loaded with bad for you ingredients.
Connect with Nature Valley:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup coconut milk (almond or regular will also work fine)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 egg
- ¾ Nature Valley Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Granola
- 2 tablespoons sugar in the raw
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat bananas, brown sugar, milk, coconut oil, and egg on medium speed until well blended. Stir in flour mixture with a rubber spatula until mixture is just moistened. Fold ½ cup of the granola into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle each with ½ teaspoon sugar and additional granola. Bake for 13 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
DON’T MISS A MEAL! RECIPES RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Interestingly enough, I didn’t grow up with an interest in cooking. In fact, I informed my mother on multiple occasions that I was not getting an advanced education so I could spend my evenings preparing meals.
Grab My Cookbook!
Fit Meets Girl