So, the day I made and photographed this bread, the Tall Boy was sick, my
house kitchen was in disarray, and Doodle was following me from room to room asking if I was “done yet” so we could play Operation.
Clearly, I need the “liposuction” version of the game, because every time I made this bread, I end up eating the entire loaf.
For some reason, the Tall Boy thinks any sort of sweet bread automatically means there are nuts mixed in, even though I always leave them out. Well, except for the one time that I added some very finely chopped pecans to my pumpkin bread, which he discovered only after he’d eaten a huge hunk.
Also, I like to add coconut to my banana bread, which he also assures me that he hates.
I won’t mention the fact that he drank a number of piña coladas on our honeymoon, or that he likes the piña colada slushies from QuickTrip in the summer. Nope, I won’t say a word about that.
Anyway, I just plopped this loaf of bread down on my tabletop and snapped a fast picture so I could get down to the business of
beating Doodle in a series of board games teaching my toddler the importance of good sportsmanship. I realized later that the lack of a decent background makes this bread difficult to see, and so I had high hopes of baking another loaf and trying to take some better photographs.
Except that would mean eating another loaf of this all on my own, and my jeans can’t take any more, okay? Plus, this bread is so good, so moist, so coconutty-licious that I wanted to share it with you right away. You know, if you’re like me and are so over winter weather. In my mind, coconut + lime = beachy thoughts, and I’m totally ready for that.
Chandra, this recipe is for you!
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups mashed ripe bananas (I usually use about 4 large bananas)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons apple juice (you can substitute milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- additional coconut, as desired
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, sour cream, apple juice/milk and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist.
- Stir in ½ cup coconut, and spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- Combine powdered sugar and juice, stirring with a whisk. I like to add some additional coconut to my glaze. Drizzle over warm bread.
Have a great Wednesday!