Want to make preparing a homemade pancakes a snap? Let me show you how, with this easy homemade instant pancake mix.
Actually first, let me tell you a story. It’s about my kid. ‘Cause that’s what moms do, right? Talk to their invisible internet friends about their kids?
I’ve mentioned before that Doodle is totally into karate right now. We’re at the dojo three or four times a week, and he loves it. We love it, too, especially since the coaches do a wonderful job of weaving life lessons into the classes. Each month, the coaches focus on a word of the month, and the word for May is “teamwork.”
The other evening at class, Coach Rachel was talking about how the family we live with is a team. How everyone has their own responsibilities and duties, and if one person fails at completing their duties, they let the entire team/family down. Then she asked for examples from the children of something one of their parents did that the other parent did not do.
Of course, my child doesn’t have a shy bone is his body, so his hand shot straight up. He’s waving it in the air wildly, eager to share about all of the wonderful things his mom does that his dad doesn’t do. And this, folks, is what Doodle shares:
“My mom puts in earrings.”
I also make homemade pancakes, but apparently that’s long been forgotten.
My husband isn’t a big pancake eater, but Doodle and I love ‘em. And instead of keeping one of those boxes of “instant” preservative-filled boxes in my pantry, I decided to learn how to make my own. You know what? It’s so, so easy! Now, I keep a container of my own homemade instant pancake mix in the pantry, and Doodle and I have been eating them up like…well, like hotcakes.
This recipe does use buttermilk, and if you’re like me, buttermilk isn’t a staple in your fridge. Not to worry – just put 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup, and then add enough milk to make one cup. Let it sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes, and voila! Now you have buttermilk.
Now excuse me, I need to go put in my earrings.
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda (check expiration date first)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups pancake mix (the dry mix as prepared, above)
- Combine all pancake mix ingredients in a container with a lid and mix well. Store for up to 3 months.
- Preheat your griddle.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter.
- Place your homemade pancake mix in a large bowl. Mix together the buttermilk mixture and the butter mixture, then pour over the pancake mix. Mix just until combined - don't try to get all of the lumps out. Overmixing will make your pancakes rubbery!
- When your griddle is hot, lightly butter or spray with non-stick spray. Ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle. When bubbles begin to form around the edges of the pancake, gently flip. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until the pancake is set.
**there are a million different ways to jazz these up, but I usually add 1 tablespoon of vanilla and 1½ teaspoons cinnamon per batch when making these.
By the way, it’s my friend Lisa’s birthday this week (and my birthday month as well), so I’m celebrating and partnering with a bunch of other awesome bloggers by giving one of you a $250 Amazon gift card. Sa-weet!
Make sure you enter via the Rafflecopter entry form below. The giveaway runs until Friday, May 10 at midnight (Central time). Good luck!