This was not my planned post for today–see, starting this blog was really just an excuse for me to try a bunch of new recipes with sugar as the main ingredient, and with Halloween only a few days away, I’ve been doing my fair share of baking.
It was all fun and games until I realized my pants were getting just a little too tight.
Not that homemade meatballs are going to do much to shrink my waistline, but at least they don’t contain sugar, and that’s something, right? Small steps, folks. I’m good at those.
Also good? These meatballs. And they are sooooooooooo easy, even I can do it.
When Doodlebug was a baby, he ate meatballs EVERY. DAY. Seriously, he couldn’t talk, but would grunt out a few syllables that sounded like “meatball” and point to the freezer. At that time, I was much too tired to even think about making anything from scratch. Big bags of frozen meatballs from Sam’s were my friend. Had I known then just how easy these were to make, I might have considered it.
Plus, they are so much healthier than the frozen stuff; I’m using extra lean ground beef here. Make a double bath and freeze half; you won’t be sorry.
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ pounds Italian sausage
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ dehydrated onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ombine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Using a cookie scoop (for less messy results), shape the mixture into balls, placing on a foil-lined baking sheet. Make sure you spray your foil first with non-stick cooking spray.
- Broil for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the meatballs are starting to brown. If you’re going to be simmering these in sauce like I did, it’s best to allow them to finish cooking in your sauce so the flavors are released into your liquid.