I know. I just posted a dip last week.
A Mexican-inspired one, even. So you’re probably thinking, Enough with the Mexican dips, already.
But I can’t help it. It’s football playoff season, which equates to party-food in my book. Actually, I can pretty much justify eating warm and creamy dips any day of the week:
Bad day? Console yourself with chips and dip.
Too tired to do any real cooking? Don’t worry, just use some veggies as your dip vessel and call it dinner.
Need to celebrate? Start with tortilla chips and dip.
My assignment for this month’s Secret Recipe Club was Heather’s blog over at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks. By day, Heather is an elementary school teacher who works with at-risk children as well as children with special needs. Can you say rock star?
Heather had so many great recipes to choose from: like garlic beef enchiladas and glazed apple cream pie and cafe au lait bars. But when I saw that she had a recipe for jalapeño popper dip, I knew right away that was what I had to make.
I made only a few small adjustments to Heather’s recipe…I’m not a big mayonnaise/Miracle Whip fan, so I don’t typically keep any on hand. Instead, I swapped the mayo for Greek yogurt, which worked totally fine.
Also, I have this annoying habit of overbuying bags of shredded cheese. The cheese/deli drawer in my refrigerator is overflowing with almost empty bags of cheese, so I tried to use up what I had on hand.
And yes, it was all good.
- 3 slices bacon, diced (I used turkey bacon)
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (light or Neufchâtel will work just fine)
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 (4-ounce) cans green chilies
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Frank's Red Hot
- ¾ cup plain breadcrumbs
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook bacon in a small saute pan until almost brown. Add in the diced jalapeno and cook until soft. Remove from heat and set aside. If using regular bacon, blot off grease with a paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, combine softened cream cheese, yogurt, ½ cup Mexican blend cheese, green chilies, garlic powder and Red Hot, stirring to combine. Add in the bacon and jalapenos. Spoon into an 8x8 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and remaining seasonings. Pour melted butter over the top and mix well. Spread evenly over the dip. Bake for 20 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.
I’m partying here!