We’re huge Chinese food fans in my house.
I loveitloveitloveit. But if we ate the take-out from the restaurant down the street from our house, I’d weigh a bizillion pounds.
The great thing about making Chinese at home is that you can really tone down the salt, oil and/or butter content, and add a mad amount of veggies to make sure all the food groups are covered. See? Totally healthy.
This recipe is hands-down my favorite make at home Chinese dish. We’ve made it a number of times, and it never disappoints. It’s definitely one of our staple rotation meals, and I love that it has the “take-out” taste without the “take-out” calorie-count. We usually serve this meal with brown rice, but if you really want to jazz it up a bit, serve it with my favorite version of fried rice.
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ pound snow peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated and peeled
- 6 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (I used low-sodium)
- ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 large egg whites
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- Stir together 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1 cup cold water until smooth. Add veggies, garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, and red-pepper flakes; toss to combine, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, remaining cornstarch, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Remove chicken from the egg mixutre and add to skillet. Cook until golden, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally.Transfer chicken to a plate; and set aside (reserve skillet).
- Add veggie mixture to skillet. Cover; cook until snow peas are tender and sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet (with any juices); toss to coat. Serve with brown rice or fried rice.
Have a great Tuesday, everyone!