Mom’s Hummingbird Cake
My Mom’s Hummingbird Cake is the perfect dessert for spring! Loaded with bananas, pineapple, pecans and cinnamon, and topped with a thick cream cheese frosting, this cake will be the highlight of your dessert table!
I’ve been going through my grandmother’s old recipes lately, and with Easter coming up, I wanted to share her recipe for Hummingbird Cake. I’d pulled it out of her recipe box some time ago…and then couldn’t find it. ? So I asked my mom if she had a copy, and I’m fairly certain this is the same version – or at least close.
I love my mom’s hummingbird cake, almost as much as I love carrot cake – the flavors are quite similar: cinnamon spiced, pineapple, chopped nuts, and a perfectly whipped cream cheese icing. Seriously, what’s not to love?
I super ❤ love baking cakes in bundt pans because they automatically look impressive without you having to do anything fancy. Pour in the batter, bake, turn the cake right-side up, and drizzle on some frosting and you basically look like a professional.
Actually, I didn’t “drizzle” on the frosting. This cream cheese frosting is pretty thick (hey, if you’re making it, go all out…that’s my motto), so I first spoon mine into a sandwich bag. To make it easier, I put the baggie into a tall drinking glass and fold the ends over the sides, then fill the bag with my frosting. Seal up the bag and snip one tiny corner off with a pair of scissors. Then just pipe away to your heart’s content.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (undrained)
- 2 cups crushed bananas (about 3 large)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar.
- Stir in whisked eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla using a large wooden spoon. Do not use a mixer.
- Fold in the pineapple, bananas, and nuts until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for 75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for 15 to 20 minutes and then invert onto a wire rack. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese and butter together with an electric mixer until light and frosting.
- Add in powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Frost cake as desired.
10 EASY SLOW COOKER MEALS RECIPE BOOK
Interestingly enough, I didn’t grow up with an interest in cooking. In fact, I informed my mother on multiple occasions that I was not getting an advanced education so I could spend my evenings preparing meals.
Grab My Cookbook!