I live with a 4-year old and a guy who eats grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast.
So, as you can imagine, we make a lot of grilled cheese around here.
What’s interesting is that as much as I like to cook and come up with fun, exciting twists to recipes, we typically just make plain ol’ grilled cheese–you know, with Velveeta cheese. And if we really want to fancy it up, we add some lunch meat.
I’ve always wanted to be the fancy-pants mom who makes gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches for her family. The only problem is that my family really isn’t “gourmet” and probably wouldn’t come within a 10-foot radius of an arugala asiago grilled cheese. And since I’m too lazy to make a fancy sandwich for me and a second (boring) sandwich for them, we all just usually end up eating the same thing.
Guys, a whole new world has been opened for me on grilled cheese sandwiches, and I’m determined to try them all.
But apparently, I’m still in Cinco de Mayo mode, because I started out my foray into “fancy” grilled cheese by choosing a Mexican version. Here’s my cast of characters:
Holy cow guys, these were so yummy. The Tall Boy even went back and fixed a second sandwich! He and Doodle decided on the name for this one: Ooey Gooey Grilled Mexican Cheese. Yep, this might just be a new household favorite! I found the recipe over at Grilled Cheese Social - which has to be about the most amazing grilled cheese site I’ve ever seen.
Now, we like things spicy around our place, so I used fresh, sliced jalepeños and left the seeds in. But if you’re not into that kind of thing, just use pickled jalepeños for a bit of the flavor, but a little less heat.
- 2 slices of thick bread (we used an Italian loaf)
- ¼ cup of shredded Mexican melting cheese
- ¼ cup roasted corn
- ¼ to ⅓ cup grilled shredded chicken
- 4 to 5 jalepeno slices
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 tablespoon tablespoon of cumin butter (combine softened butter, a pinch of garlic salt, 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 teaspoon chile powder)
- Smear some of the cumin butter on a slice of bread and place, butter side down, on your warm griddle.
- Working quickly, pile on some shredded cheese, corn, chicken, jalepenos, and more cheese.
- Top with another slice of buttered bread.
- Grill, 3-5 minutes per side, or until lightly golden.
- Before serving, squeeze a lime wedge on top.
Check out my previous Challenge entries:
And be sure to check out all of the other great recipes from this month’s participants!
I’m linked up at these great parties this week: Crazy Sweet Tuesdays, Trick or Treat Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Cast Party Wednesday, Sweet Treats Thursday, Mrs. Fox’s Sweets, Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons, Itsy Bitsy Paper, Crumbs and Chaos, I’m Lovin’ It Fridays, and Weekend Potluck!