Other than peppermint and eggnog, my favorite holiday flavor is cranberry. It’s just not the Christmas season without cranberry bread, at least in my kitchen.
I make multiple loaves of cranberry bread every year, usually with a bit of orange zest or orange juice thrown into the batter. It’s a timeless flavor combination, amIright?
But this year, I wanted to try something just a little bit different.
Nothing too wild, though, because really….I just like a traditional cranberry loaf. Boring, but true.
And I don’t skimp on the berries, either. I like my loaf full of ‘em, and I a
m too lazy to cut them up like to leave my berries whole.
And guess what? This bread doesn’t use any oil or butter. Wanna know what I used instead?
Greek yogurt. Specifically, Chobani Honey Greek yogurt.
The substitution of this thick Greek yogurt for the butter gives this bread a super soft texture. Plus, Greek yogurt is packed with protein, so this is practically a health food.
Errrr….at least it was until I slathered it with some cranberry honey butter.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Chobani Greek Honey yogurt or other low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cranberries (mine were small, so I left them whole)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x4x2 inch loaf pan and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in orange zest. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a fork. Stir in milk and yogurt. Add mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
Have a great Tuesday, everyone! And be sure to stop by tomorrow to link up what’s in your kitchen this week!
I’m partying here.