I don’t know about you, but I love the appetizer table at holiday parties.
I also like to eat appetizers for dinner and call it a meal, but that’s another story.
As much as I love the standard summer sausage, cheese, and cracker tray, sometimes it’s nice to have something a little different. Something that’s a little fancier, but doesn’t actually require that much work.
And technically, you could turn this easy appetizer into a bit more work and make your own pizza dough, but I’ll be honest and tell you I don’t have time to do that this time of the year. So don’t judge me when I tell you I used a can of artisan pizza dough from the refrigerator section of my grocery store.
Believe me, when you take one bite of this easy appetizer flatbread–layered with pears, feta cheese, prosciutto, and red onions sautéed in a white wine and honey reduction–you’ll never notice the difference.
I know. It (1) sounds like a weird combination; and (2) sounds like a lot of work.
But, I promise: it’s not.
But you could totally tell your friends and family it is something super fancy…I won’t tell. 🙂
- 1 can artesian whole wheat pizza crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup semi-sweet white wine
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 pears, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven according to directions on pizza crust package. Lightly cover 16x14 cookie sheet with cooking spray or with a Slipat and roll crust out to cover cookie sheet. Bake crust 8 minutes, or until lightly golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan. Add sliced red onion and saute over low heat until onion begins to soften. Add wine, honey, salt and pepper; cover and simmer until liquid is nearly gone and onion is soft.
- Beat egg, add cheese and spread over crust. Arrange pear slices over cheese; top with proscuitto and sprinkle with onions. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with thyme and serve warm, or at room temperature.
I’m partying here!