Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Enchiladas
While I’m not a huge breakfast fan, I am a fan of food in general. Actually, no, no, no…let me rephrase that: I love many breakfast foods, including waffles, crepes, pancakes, scones, cinnamon rolls, muffins and coffee cakes. Not so much on the savory stuff. Carbs and me, we’re the best of buds.
The problem with this–besides the imminent possibility of having to wear elastic waist pants–is that the Tall Boy doesn’t care for any of those items. And since compromise is an important part of marriage, I feel compelled to make things he likes every now and then. Sigh.
And really, I don’t think a person can go wrong with sausage and cheese jammed inside of a tortilla and smothered with more cheese.
Start by making your cheese sauce–melt butter over medium heat and whisk in your flour. Cook for one minute, whisking constantly.
Then, whisk in milk and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, jalepenos (we like it spicy; if you don’t, try green chilis) and salt. Set aside.
In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter and saute green onion and cilantro for about 1 minute.
Add eggs, salt and pepper, and cook until eggs are thickened but still moist.
Remove from heat, and stir in cooked sausage and 1 1/2 cups of cheese sauce.
Stuff about 1/2 cup of your egg mixture into a flour tortilla.
Roll up, and place seam-side down into a 13x9 pan. Pour the rest of your cheese sauce over the top, and then top that with Monterey Jack cheese.
Don’t say I never did anything nice for you.
Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Enchiladas (click to print)
- 1 pound package ground pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablepoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 14 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cheese Sauce (see below)
- 10 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Cook sausage; drain.
- Melt butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and cilantro and saute 1 minute.
- Add eggs, salt, pepper, and cook until eggs are thickened but still moist. Remove from heat and gently fold in 1 1/2 cups of cheese sauce and sausage.
- Stuff about 1/2 cup of your egg mixture into a flour tortilla.
- Roll up, and place seam-side down into a 13x9 pan. Pour the rest of your cheese sauce over the top, and then top with Monterey Jack cheese.
Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chiles, or jalepenos, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth.
- Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in mild; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in cheese and remaining ingredients until smooth.
Note: you can prepare this recipe in advance, without baking, and refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes, then bake as directed.
Recipe from The All New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook
10 EASY SLOW COOKER MEALS RECIPE BOOK
Interestingly enough, I didn’t grow up with an interest in cooking. In fact, I informed my mother on multiple occasions that I was not getting an advanced education so I could spend my evenings preparing meals.
Grab My Cookbook!