Whenever I go on a “let’s eat healthy” kick, all I can think about is eating junk food.
Cookies, cupcakes, candy, you name it. If it contains white flour and sugar, I pretty much want it in my mouth.
The problem with blogging lots of sweet treats is that I end up eating lots of sweet treats…and my jeans are starting to rebel. While I’m not one to diet, I am trying to focus on making healthier choices.
One of my biggest weaknesses is baking sweet breads for our weekend meals. So today I decided to give these strawberry muffins from Dashing Dish a try. Do you guys ever read Katie’s blog? Holy moly, it’s totally amazing, and she makes eating healthy look like something I can totally handle.
I handled these strawberry muffins quite well, if I do say so myself.
These muffins use oats instead of white flour, stevia instead of sugar, and strawberry Chobani Greek yogurt in place of the oil. They are stuffed with fresh strawberries, and come in at just under 100 calories.
Take that, my too-tight jeans! I’ve got your number.
- 2 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup strawberry Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup baking stevia (you can also use sugar; start with 1/2 cup and add a litte extra, depending on your taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries, diced, and divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with foil liners, or spray REALLY WELL with cooking spray--the oats tend to stick! I used a silicone muffin pan and it worked great.
- Place all of your ingredients (except the strawberries) in a blender or food processor, and blend until oats are smooth. My blender is not super-powerful, so I had to stop and stir quite a few times until my mixture was smooth.
- Pour batter into a medium sized bowl, and fold in your strawberries. Divide remaining 1/2 cup diced strawberries over the top of each muffin.
- Divide batter into each muffin liner. Bake for 25 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
from the totally awesome Dashing Dish