This Smoked Gouda Mashed Potato Casserole takes comfort food to the next level! This easy potato dish is perfect for your holiday table – or any day of the week!
So, it’s that time of the year around my house when my mashed potato loving husband starts casually offering up hints about potatoes. Specifically mashed potatoes. No kidding, this guy could probably eat a slow cooker full of mashed potatoes all on his own – in one serving.
I don’t make mashed potatoes that often, because they’re not typically on my “trying to eat healthy” diet plan, but when the Tall Boy starts coming home from the grocery store with boxes of instant flakes (gross), I know it’s time to be a good wife and make him the real thing.
And last week, I tried a little experiment…
Yep, I replaced the whole milk in this Smoked Gouda Mashed Potato Casserole with Silk Soy Milk. And guess what? No one knew the difference.
The Tall Boy is usually a mashed potato purist (box flakes notwithstanding) and prefers whole milk and loads of butter in his taters – really, who doesn’t? But since I’m always looking for ways to up the protein and nutritional content in dishes that my 7-year old will actually eat, I decided to try adding a bit of Silk Soy Milk this time. Silk has six grams of heart-healthy protein per serving, and 50% more calcium than regular dairy milk. That’s definitely a win for this mom.
For this recipe, you’ll boil and mash your potatoes, and then add in a bunch of other yummy stuff: like an entire block of cream cheese. Go big or go home, that’s my motto when it comes to mashed potatoes.
And now you know why I don’t make them very often. 😉
Spread the potatoes into a 9 x 13 casserole dish, and top ’em with shredded smoked Gouda cheese (my favorite!) and some sliced prosciutto. I get my prosciutto near the deli meats at my local grocery store. You’ll bake the casserole for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese melts and gets bubbly and gooey. Garnish with sliced scallions when serving, for some extra color. I guarantee, this fun twist on the standard old mashed potatoes will be a hit at your table!
- 6-7 large red potatoes
- ½ cup Silk Soy Milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- salt and pepper, to tast
- 1 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 3 ounces sliced Proscuitto
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Peel, quarter, and boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Drain the potatoes and beat them with a mixer until smooth. Add milk, cream cheese, sour cream, parsley, and garlic salt. Beat at a medium-high speed until the potatoes are creamy and fluffy. Add salt and pepper, to taste
- Spoon potatoes into prepared casserole dish. Top the potatoes with cheese and prosciutto. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
Connect with Silk:
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.