I don’t like to toot my own horn or anything, but these Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches were pretty much awesome.
I’m basing this opinion on the fact that my 6-year old ate one of these in its entirety (a complete anomaly in our household) and didn’t even realize it contained onions and red peppers (gasp!!). Not only that, but he asked me to make them again.
That never happens in our house, unless I’ve “prepared” macaroni and cheese or a hot dog.
Actually, he asked me to recreate the entire meal, including these Roasted Veggie Tortilla chips from Green Giant I served as a quick side–perfect for a fast dinner on a busy night or a quick lunch on the go.
In fact, I could barely keep his hands out of the chip bag as I was photographing – they were that good! I mean, it’s one thing for me to tell you how good they were (I’m addicted to tortilla chips), but when my food-averse kiddo can’t stop eating them, it’s a pretty strong endorsement.
Honestly, Doodle, the Tall Boy and I polished off the entire bag in one sitting.
Actually, not too much of an oops, since a 1-ounce serving has only 130 calories and .5 grams of saturated fat.
Plus, I originally envisioned serving these chips with a sour-cream based Tex-Mex dip, but the chips were so full of flavor, I decided to nix the dip. No dip = fewer calories = more chips.
Don’t you love my math logic? 😉
And speaking of giant flavor, that’s exactly what these spicy buffalo chicken sandwiches have.
Not too spicy though…as I mentioned earlier, my 6-year old scarfed one of these down in no time flat, and with no complaint about the heat. If you like things a bit spicier, just up the hot-pepper sauce to your liking.
Since we’re back into the full swing of a busy school year complete with after-school activities, I’m on the lookout for slow cooker meals. This one is definitely a winner! The simmering sauce keeps the chicken tender and juicy, and there are enough ways to serve this shredded poultry to satisfy everyone:
on sandwiches, in tacos, or even on a salad drizzled with blue cheese dressing.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds skinless chicken breast (or thighs), cut into 1½-inch pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup hot-pepper sauce (I used Frank's)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon molasses, brown sugar or honey
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook until just browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and transfer poultry to your slow cooker.
- Add onion, garlic and pepper to the skillet. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of water, stirring to scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Cook for another 5 minutes, and season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to slow cooker and pour mixture over chicken.
- In a small bowl, stir together crushed tomatoes, hot-pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and molasses. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high until chicken is tender and shreds easily, about 4 hours. Serve shredded meat on hamburger buns. Garnish with shredded cabbage, if desired.
recipe from Martha Stewart