Sweet ‘n Tangy BBQ Smokies
Maybe we’re just boring around my house, but entertaining foods here almost always include little BBQ smokies.
That might also be because I live with a 5-year old, but it is what it is. Fortunately, you can at least purchase turkey smokies now, so I don’t feel quite so guilty snacking on them.
This sweet ‘n tangy BBQ version is so fun and easy. Guess what the main ingredient is?
Maybe you already knew that you could use apple butter in BBQ sauce, but I’d never tried it. Quite honestly, I’ve really only ever used apple butter to smear on toast and biscuits. This has sort of opened up a whole new world for me.
Historically, I’ve thought of apple butter as a fall flavor…but not any more! You can use this BBQ sauce to brush on your chicken or pork during the last few minutes of grilling. Stir it into cooked ground beef for BBQ sloppy joes, or heat with little smokies or meatballs for a quick appetizer. You can even add it in with your baked beans for a kicked-up flavor.
- 1 package little smokies
- 1 cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for at least an hour before using. You may keep covered and refrigerated for a couple of weeks.
- To make smokies, place smokies in a small crock pot and cover with sauce, to taste. You won't need all of the sauce, so use the rest for basting while grilling, or add it to cooked ground beef for kicked-up sloppy joes.
I’m keeping apple butter on hand this summer for an easy way to jazz up my grilling and entertaining dishes. And good news – Musselman’s wants to give one of you an Apple Butter gift pack, too.
All you need to do to enter is leave me a blog comment letting me know what your favorite summer grilling item is.
You may earn additional entries by following the prompts on the Rafflecopter form below. Sometimes Rafflecopter gets bogged down, so be patient if it takes a second to load.
Good luck, and happy grilling!
10 EASY SLOW COOKER MEALS RECIPE BOOK
Interestingly enough, I didn’t grow up with an interest in cooking. In fact, I informed my mother on multiple occasions that I was not getting an advanced education so I could spend my evenings preparing meals.
Grab My Cookbook!