Whew. We made it through our first week of kindergarten. And, since Doodle is attending all day school, he is supposed to take a snack for the afternoons. So when I received this box from NatureBox to review, I knew right away what I wanted to make.
Homemade granola bars. Holy awesomeness.
Do you know that the average American eats almost 25 percent of their calories from snacking? Yikes. In fact, snacking is the leading cause of childhood obesity. NatureBox helps you get more out of your day without wasting calories on the bad stuff, by sourcing delicious, healthy snacks and sends them to you monthly.
NatureBox snacks are made from the most wholesome ingredients and will be minimally processed, if at all. They contain no high-fructose corn syrup, no partially hydrogenated oils, and no trans-fat, no artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavorings. Awesome, right?
In my July box, I received Zesta Fiesta Mix, Lemon Pucker Pistachios, Garden Tomato Crunchies, Southern BBQ Sunflower Kernels, and Sunny Trails fruit mix. I used the Sunny Trails mix in my granola bars–this snack mix is packed with a medley of dried fruits that will keep your spirit and energy sky high. Raw almonds provide a nutty crunch to balance out the sweet, chewy fruits.
Doodle almost ate the entire bag before I could get the granola bars made! It was definitely a hit. And definitely something I felt good about feeding my kiddo.
Want a chance to win your own NatureBox? Just enter the giveaway below using the Rafflecopter entry form! And for even more chances to win, be sure to visit all of the other participating sites.
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup agave nectar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups granola
- 1 cup rice cereal
- 5 ounces Sunny Trails dried fruit mix
- ⅓ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, agave nectar, butter and orange peel. Bring to a boil, and then reduced heat to low, stirring until the sugar melts.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients to combine.
- Transfer to a greased 9x11 baking dish. Cover with wax paper and press into an even layer. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
Disclosure: Nature Box was received in order to facilitate this review and giveaway, but all opinions are 100% my own.