Sundays in the fall are meant for baking around my house. And I had a blast making these White Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies with Doodle over the weekend.
Yes, I used a cake mix. And no, I’m not apologizing for it. I mentioned when I made my Funfetti Cheesecake Cookies that cake mix cookies are one of my favorites. They’re the best when I need a quick, easy, and super soft cookie.
Sorry, crunchy cookies just don’t do it for me.
Last fall, I posted a White Chocolate Pumpkin Nog, which is one of my all-time favorite recipes. In fact, the photos were published in the September issue of Where Women Cook magazine – quite a fabulous surprise, considering what my pictures looked like when I started this blog in 2011.
But I’ve been thinking about that nog ever since, and the flavor combination of white chocolate and pumpkin.
If you want to know the truth, I think pumpkin pretty much goes with everything – but you certainly can’t go wrong adding a bit of white chocolate to the mix. These cookies are just your standard cake mix cookies, with a box of white chocolate pudding mix added in. And lots of white chocolate chips, for good measure.
Doodle and I mixed these up at halftime during the Chiefs game on Sunday, and we were munching on them by the time the third quarter started. I planned to just add some extra white chocolate chips to the top, but Doodle spotted the bag of marshmallow creme pumpkins I’d purchased earlier in the weekend, and wanted to press some into the tops of the warm cookies.
I have to admit, they were pretty good that way – I think I have a future blogger on my hands.
- 1 box Pillsbury Pumpkin cake mix
- 1 small box instant white chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 3/4 cup white baking chips, divided
- Marshmallow Creme Pumpkins, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla until a dough forms. Stir in 1/2 cup of the white chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Using the remaining 1/4 cup white chips, press a few chips onto the tops of each cookie. If you're using the marshmallow creme pumpkins, don't worry about adding any extra chips to the top.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies just start to lightly brown. The centers will still be very soft - that's okay! Cool for 2 minutes, then remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- If desired, press a marshmallow creme pumpkin into the tops of your warm cookies.