Before we get to today’s goody, I have something super awesome to offer one of you: the totally awesome gang over at Pick Your Plum are giving you all a chance to win a $50Plum Box full of swank crafting, fashion, baking, and home decor swag!
If you don’t know about Pick Your Plum, you have got to go check ’em out. They offer the coolest stuff at crazy good deals, and I pretty much want it all. Stuff like this:
Be sure to Like Pick Your Plum on Facebook and sign up for their news letter. They post deals on their FB page before they send out the email, so it’s a good way to get the awesome deal before your neighbor!
**Please note that the above pictures are examples of items sold at Pick Your Plum and will not necessarily be the items you receive in your Plum Box.
Open to US residents only, sorry.
Okie doke, on to today’s holiday goody–something you can throw together super quick if you need a last minute gift idea (which I often do).
I’ve never really been a gift in a jar type of person. But then I found Shaina Olamanson’s Desserts in Jars: 50 Sweet Treats that Shine, and I kind of changed my mind. If you haven’t seen her book, it’s full of desserts you serve in jars (!) and it pretty much rocks.
Even though I’m a planner by nature, the holidays always tend to sneak up on me, and then I’m left scrambling for ideas at the last minute. My husband’s family likes to exchange homemade gifts, and this year I needed something quick and easy to assemble.
Especially since the flu hit our house this week. But even with that unexpected kink in my plans, I still had time to throw together some of these spice cookie mixes.
Only a few ingredients, some jars, and five minutes, and I had perfect little homemade gifts. Even better, I have them ready two weeks before Christmas. Score!
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons butter), softened
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Place in a 1-quart jar. Top with brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together granulated sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla bean powder. Add the sugar mixture to the jar and top with white chocolate chips. Seal, and attach a label with the following instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 325. Mix butter and molasses in the bowl of a stand mixer until smooth. Beat in the egg. Add the contents of the jar and mix until incorporated. Roll into 1-inch balls, roll the balls in sugar, an placed them on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the tops are cracked and the edges have started to brown. Cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack.
I had a great time participating in Brenda’s 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats this year. Thanks so much for hosting, Brenda!
I’m partying here!
*I was in no way compensated for this post. I just really like this book. 🙂