BBQ Chicken is a summer staple around my house.
Also a staple around our house? Food-centric television shows.
Seriously, if it’s not a sporting event or a cooking show, we’re not watching it. And even then, the show has to be pretty darn good to entice me to give up my valuable free time. So yeah…ABC’s The Chew is pretty darn good.
Let me break it down for you:
This show boasts five pretty awesome co-hosts, including Clinton Kelly (you probably know him best from TLC’s What Not to Wear), Carla Hall (from Bravo’s Top Chef), Mario Batali, Michael Symon (from Iron Chef), and Daphne Oz. And all summer long, this fun bunch has got you covered: from grilling, to seasonal entertaining, to road trips, and everything in between!
And speaking of grilling, Carla’s BBQ sauce got me inspired to make my own version. You can check it out here:
But you know me…I had to put a spicy spin on my version.
The very best part of this BBQ sauce is that it comes together in less than 30 minutes – and is miles better than anything you can squeeze out of a bottle from your grocer’s shelf.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2+ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and allow them to come to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered, for about 15 minutes.
- Grill your chicken over medium-high heat until the chicken reaches 160 degrees and the juices run clear - on our charcoal grill, this takes a few minutes per side. Baste the chicken often with the BBQ sauce while cooking, and serve grilled chicken with the remaining sauce.
recipe from Taste of Home - Grill It 2012
And, if you’re like me and aren’t at home during the 12 pm CST airtime, you can view the most recent episodes on Hulu - how cool is that? As much as I’m often overwhelmed by technology today, I have to admit it’s kind of nice to be able to catch up on my favorite shows right from my laptop or iPad.
Want more of The Chew? You can check out a full episode right here! Now I’m kind of in the mood to host a Tiki party. What are your summer entertaining plans?
I’m always looking for new ways to spice up my Summer dishes, and ABC’s The Chew serves up everything from grilling and outdoor entertaining to road trips and picnics. Watch weekdays 1e|12p|c on ABC to see what celebrity chefs Mario Batali, Michael Symon, and Carla Hall, lifestyle expert Clinton Kelly and fresh face of healthy living Daphne Oz are dishing out to inspire you this Summer.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of ABC’s The Chew. The opinions and text are all mine.