Extra Banana Banana Bread
This Extra Banana Banana Bread lives up to its name! Stuffed with a full five bananas, this bread is moist and rich and is perfect any time of the day. It’s perfect as-is, but try it lightly toasted with a smear of cream cheese for an extra special treat!
My husband and son are indifferent about banana bread, which means the loaf is all mine. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. Because I end up eating the entire loaf. All.by.myself.
But the great thing about this banana bread is that it is what I consider to be a little more health conscious version. For starters, it uses FIVE bananas. Three that are mashed and incorporated into the batter, and two more that are left in chunks and baked right into the loaf. 😍
BOOM! Extra banana banana bread!
What else makes this Extra Banana Banana Bread more health conscious? Well, I’m so glad that you asked! Besides the extra bananas, this recipe also uses just one cup of all purpose flour and one cup of whole wheat flour. In my mind, whole wheat flour automatically tilts the “healthy” scale in my favor. I realize that’s probably not true, but just nod your head and go along with me, okay?
Also, I used unsweetend vanilla almond milk, which I am super ♥ love right now. I use it in everything: my smoothies, oatmeal, baking, cooking (for that, I use plain almond milk, not vanilla). It only has 30 calories per cup, squeeeee!
Finally, this loaf uses only 1/2 cup of brown sugar and just 5 teaspoons of butter. I say that’s easily balanced out by the extra bananas, don’t you? 😉
- 5 large bananas, very ripe
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 teaspoons butter, room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk (regular, almond, soy, coconut will work)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5x3” loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Peel and mash 3 bananas. Peel and cut the remaining 2 bananas into chunks. Set the bananas aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat to incorporate.
- Alternating in batches, add the mashed bananas, flour mixture and milk with the butter/sugar mixture. Do not over beat. Fold in the banana chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow bread to cool in pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
10 EASY SLOW COOKER MEALS RECIPE BOOK
Interestingly enough, I didn’t grow up with an interest in cooking. In fact, I informed my mother on multiple occasions that I was not getting an advanced education so I could spend my evenings preparing meals.
Grab My Cookbook!