Slow Cooker Chicken Queso Chili
This Slow Cooker Chicken Queso Chili is everything you want in a bowl of wintery goodness – hearty eating that tastes like a cheesy queso without the guilt. Even better – just throw the ingredients in your slow cooker and walk away, making it a perfect dinner for those busy nights.
We eat so much soup this time of the year. Winter in the Midwest gets downright frigid, and steaming bowls of hot anything are basically a requirement to make it through the season. I mean, when you’re wearing long underwear to work at your office job, you know it’s cold.
My husband’s go-to is potato soup, but since that recipe calls for butter and half-and-half (not to mention the cheese and bacon we like to use as garnish 😜), it’s not exactly figure friendly.
Anywho, slow cooker chicken queso chili is my new winter favorite. It’s basically just a dump and go – meaning there is not much prep work involved (my favorite kind of cooking!) – so I can spend my evenings curled up on the couch in my thickest wool socks with a good book and not in the kitchen.
Let’s do this.
So a word or three about this soup:
- it’s easily customizable. The Tall Boy and I like it spicy, so our version uses two cans of hot Rotel and two cans of diced jalapeños. That’s probably not the route everyone wants to go – ha! If you want it completely mild, just go with regular Rotel and green chilies. If you’re somewhere in between, well…just find the heat level that’s best for your tastes.
- same thing with the cream cheese. If you want to go full-fat, do it! I’ve just started using Greek yogurt cream cheese and ♥ it. I used it in this recipe and could not tell any difference taste-wise. Plus, it’s creamier, has less sugar and more protein that regular cream cheese. WIN!
- whatever you do, make it.
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cans Navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans Rotel, rinsed
- 2 (4-ounce) cans chopped green chilies
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, diced into chunks
- Place all ingredients except for the cream cheese in the slow cooker. Cover, and cook on high for 3 hours, or on low for 7 hours.
- Remove lid, and add cream cheese. Replace lid and cook for an additional hour.
- After cooking, shred chicken in slow cooker using two forks. Stir to combine. Serve topped with pico de gallo, shredded cheese, or cilantro if desired.
10 EASY SLOW COOKER MEALS RECIPE BOOK
Interestingly enough, I didn’t grow up with an interest in cooking. In fact, I informed my mother on multiple occasions that I was not getting an advanced education so I could spend my evenings preparing meals.
Grab My Cookbook!